Saturday, April 18, 2009

Early O'Clock

It's 1:21 AM and I'm absolutely bored out of my skull. Friday had its up's and down's, but overall it wasn't *too* bad, apart from getting only four hours of sleep before my major AnP lab exam, which covered the brain, cranial nerves, heart and associated blood vessels. It is indisputable how important AnP is to any health science program; however, sometimes I do wonder about the college's choice in staff. Anyways, back to the lab exam. The way a lab exam works is the instructor will use models and body parts; he'll place colored pins in a specific structure which we then have to identify. Sounds easy enough right? Well the problem then comes down to, which exact structure is the pin pointing to? Because if you've ever seen a real human heart (or brain), it looks like a pile of meat with strings and tubes. So it is hard to determine whether he is pointing to the Mitral valve, or the Chordae Tendonae! Or whether he is looking for a specific chamber of the heart, rather than the Papillary muscles. It can get really frustrating because these lab exams are a large percentage of our overall grade, so passing every single one of them is a must-there is no room for failure. That's the problem with the health science program courses; the questions are always broad, but the answers must be specific. Even if we have to peer through our crystal balls to distinguish the details of a question. Unfortunately, I don't own a crystal ball, and I'm no psychic. I keep telling myself that once this nursing boot camp is over with, my hard work will pay off. I really hope so, because sometimes it can be a living nightmare, and that the discouragement and knock-down's from the science Nazi's will...no, IS worth it. However, how much abuse should one really put up with?


Anyways, the weather was gorgeous today (I'm still considering today Friday), but I was so tired after class that I got home and slept solid for the next five hours! I had a lot I wanted to do, but sometimes sleep is the most productive thing one can really do. It can be almost impossible to be productive when you can barely keep your eyes open and your mind focused. That last sentence pretty much sums up what I experience every single day. It figures too, that I slept the beautiful afternoon and evening away today because this weekend, the weather isn't supposed to be as lovely. Yesterday (Thursday) was a nice day out too, and I didn't do anything too productive besides studying and doing homework. But I did have a nice time going for a short drive and taking pictures of the river at my "secret" spot, which is not so secret anymore. Sometimes all it takes to cheer me up is that one single moment of a beautiful view. And I like to share that sight with my friends. I guess it gives me a sense of...well, I don't know, but it makes me happy when I can share that captured beauty in a photo and pass it along to my friends and family. Especially if it is overwhelmingly spectacular. There's just something magical about being able to save that view forever, and that is what photography is all about. I can't say I really have many hobbies. Basically I just take pictures (all the time), write (poetry usually), or walk around outside with my dogs. Those are my coping mechanisms, and they seem to work pretty well, so far! If I have the spare time I do like scrap booking, creating home made greeting cards, which is a new founded talent, and sketching. Although the thing I like most is traveling. Every summer I find the time and money to take a short trip to the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), my most favorite place on Earth. I'm pretty acquainted with the area and I love going up there. If it weren't so far away from my definition of civilization, I would move up there. It's a nice place to escape to when I need peace of mind and solitude.


I don't have much planned for the weekend seeing as it is supposed to rain, so I will probably just sit around studying and doing homework. I just watched that new version of "Journey to the Center of the Earth," the one released in 2008 starring Brenden Fraser. It was good, at least I liked it anyways. I'm about to watch another movie, "Body of Lies" starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe. It's about a CIA agent who teams up with a veteran operative to infiltrate an underground terrorist network and to locate a criminal mastermind. Sounds pretty good to me! Well it's nearly 2 AM now so I'm going to go and watch this movie and hopefully get some sleep.
~Good night and Godspeed

1 comment:

Easily Lost said...

you take veryyyyy nice pictures too i might add :D